So on to the real interesting stuff, our trip.
Thursday, we drove all afternoon and arrived in NOLA at 9 or 10 that night. Needless to say, I was tired (I had gotten up at 4 to get to work by 6)....and our friends were still an hour out. So, we wound down for the hour. I did get a rousing phone call, but we all decided it was for the best if we just went ahead and slept for the night.
Friday, got up (well I did before the Hubs, but that's normal) and ready for breakfast. We ended up doing a walking tour of the Quarter trying to remember where to go for breakfast and ended up at the Camelia Grill for an AWESOME breakfast. Great diner food. (see pictures below)
From breakfast, we went walking. This is standard for this trip. We eat, then walk to find XXXX (more food, drinks, shopping, cool site, etc. - insert whichever in the XXXXX space). We found a cool place to relax, some fun shopping, the girls bought accessories, some of the group bought cigars, we went shoe shopping in Saks....ya know, the normal stuff. In between, we managed alot of laughs and only a few awkward statements (awkward statements are a norm). You will have to ask about them, let's just say the lady in Walgreen's will never understand. Ohh, and we battled the 78 (but feels like 90) degree weather. Some of us (not the Hubs or I) had some non-vacation stuff (aka work) to do. So, we took a break and rested up for dinner and the night to come.
Friday night, dinner was at ACME Oyster house. I think I have a picture on my phone, but ohh well. We had poboys, oysters, and a good time. From there, we ventured to Pat O'Briens (after a couple of detours). Hurricanes and Mint Juleps were on the menu there. We then found their Piano Bar. By the way, not sure how I felt that the people playing the piano were older than my parents. Still not sure about it. And they played alot of slow songs, but they did play some good Journey and other great piano bar classics. Around 8, an "incident" happened which results in glasses being knocked into one of our group's lap. That meant time to change. So back to the hotel we went. While waiting on changing, we all got tired (or so I thought) and made a failed attempt to go get dessert, but ended up deciding around 10 to just go to bed. The so I thought is that one of our group ventured to the Casino where he was at til 3:30...and he won money. Impressive!
Saturday, once again we got up "early" and prepped for breakfast. We were trying to hit a certain place (Maspero's) for their brunch. But failed. We ended up having a good lunch (BBQ Shrimp for breakfast at 11:30....okay!). It was good sustence for the day ahead. The other female on the trip decided we should do something touristy, so we decided to go on a carriage ride. So after a while of walking and preparing for the carriage ride, we made it to Jackson Square where we met Ed and his mule Christmas. Ed and Christmas toured us around New Orleans (see pictures below) while we relaxed and enjoyed a partly cloudy 72 degree day half hour.
St. Louis Cathedral from the carriage
Jackson Square
Jackson Brewery - we heard an interesting story about the employees spilling all the kegs on to the ground and the street was knee-deep in beer. Pretty interesting...
Forehead :) oh, and the Napoleon House
Louisiana Supreme Court. They said they also filmed a bunch of movies around there.
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop
Court of Two Sisters (I think...)
Some Hotel. With Cornstalk fencing....very victorian and pretty
Feeding the mule after the ride (I'm taking pictures, but this is the rest of our group.)
So after riding around and finding out about the best places to eat, we ventured to one of them - Coop's Place. Best jambalaya. It was sausage and rabbit. Still not sure how I feel about the rabbit, but it was good. Then, it was food coma time again til the parade. We got ready to go hit the parade thinking we would do parade then dinner and then whatever.
We finally got a good spot on the parade route near Jackson Square and watched it. It seemed WAY shorter than we were used to, but that's ok. Here are a few shots from the parade: Note the parady of words here..
Then instead of dinner, we hit Cafe du Monde. SUPER YUM! Then we wandered some more. Somewhere in there was a challenge for the guys to drink Hand Grenades. Two of the three had one. Both made it...barely. Our final stop of the evening was the Crescent City MicroBrewery where a few more drinks were had. Alot more fun was had. Then it was off to bed.
The next morning we got up and ready to leave. We made a quick trip by our friend's rooms (they were going to stay awhile longer) to say Bye. It was sad to leave. We then headed to Baton Rouge to meet up with some other friends who just recently moved there. We got a tour of their new home and ate a local place and just hung out. It was nice as we hadn't seen them in a few months.
Then, it was the long drive home. We made it home around 11 after a quick stop to pick up the dogs. Needless to say, I was thankful that I had Monday off as a holiday. The Hubs wasn't as fortunate, but he seemed to recover well.
No comments:
Post a Comment